Friday, July 17, 2009

An Old Thing Of Value !!


An Old thing of Value , Only to me.

Who knows how old this canner is.. I could guess maybe 35 - 45 years old.
It has canned lots of different kinds of vegetables and served me well over the years.
It has preserved hundreds of jars of food to feed my family of 6 for years, in fact I'd say 49 years now .
We used to raise our own beef (unless the kids made pets out of them and then we'd have to sell them and buy one off our brother in law )
I have canned beef stew,Beef ribs,and everything of beef I could .O my,in the cold winter when it would snow I could go down to my can shelves and bring up something good,just pop off the lid and it was ready to serve along with;
mashed tators
and a can of green beans,
with chow chow ,kraut or pickles ,
which I also had made.
We used to raise our own hams , yep, a 4 footed hog so we knew what was in our meat....I canned the sausage and ribs .Sausage
I remember opening cans of those ribs ,

Barbecue Pork Ribs

Put 2 quarts Canned Ribs in a baking dish,
cover with barbecue sauce & 1/4 cup of chopped onions
bake in 350* oven for 30 minutes. Yum yum.

At Christmas for years, my dear husband would put the 20-25 pound ham in it and take it down the stairs to our basement . He would build a fire in our Franklin Stove and keep it going all day and into the night until the Ham tested done.
Now most folks baked theirs but we liked it moist and boy it was so good...
Put some mustard on a slice of bread and pepper on the ham .... that was eating high on the hog .
But I don't do them any more since he's gone.


So you see ; This really has been and still is .. "A thing of value " to me.

2 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Canned beef....my MIL taught me how to do that and I love it. I call it "fast food" because, just like you said, you can go to the canned goods cupboard and pull out a quick supper.

Jody

Joyce said...

I've never heard of canning ribs but I'm sure it's delicious..I love chow chow-you don't see that in this part of the country so much : )

I'm behind on my blog reading but wanted to say that I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!